Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Things are not always what they seem

We met and before we realized it, we were living together. Things went pretty fast and we got to know each other in a real short period of time. You worked three jobs and so did I. After work, I tried to cook a full meal, existing of an appetizer, a main dish and dessert. It was that time of the year, that the white gold was available. I just loooooove asparagus and I wanted to treat my new love with a wonderful dish. I put a lot of work in my dish and I was so proud to present you this delicate vegetable. You were hungry and ready to dig in. I was truly surprised when you spit out your first bite and said: ugh! this is no good! I was astounded and I tried my asparagus. They tasted just right to me. What was wrong? You told me it didn't taste like the salsify you were used to eat. Hello??? These weren't salsify, it were asparagus???

Okay, you had never eaten asparagus before... It wasn't a pleasant dinner and my ego was smashed to pieces. Nowadays, you love asparagus as much as I do. Whenever we get the chance to have asparagus, we order them.

Last Sunday, we went out to dinner. We didn't have asparagus this time. We frequented an excellent restaurant in Knokke. After all, this was not just a restaurant visit. We had something to celebrate. We have been married for 18 years. We have learned a lot about each other in that period of time. For better or worse. That's what we told each other when we got married. There have been ups and downs in our marriage. But we are still here and we are closer than we have been before. I'm a lucky woman. I love you xx

No comments: