Saturday, December 22, 2012

Like-minded souls

Not even 6 months ago, a mutual friend introduced us on Facebook. What started out as small talk, turned into a friendship that neither one of us had expected. So many similarities, so many mutual hobbies. Today, we met for the first time in real life. It never crossed my mind that this moment would actually occur. Overall, she lives in the Northern part of Holland, about 400 km from our little village. It is a long drive, but since part of his family lives over here, they do visit our region 4 times a year.

It was a joy to have them over today. It was like seeing a long lost friend. It was like she took the words right out of my mouth. She would say something at the exact same moment as I was thinking it. Creepy huh! We wanted to surprise each other with home made goodies (she's a foodie too - what did you think). Can you believe we made the exact same chocolate pistachio fudge by Nigella Lawson??? Unbelievable.. of course her version will be different from mine, even though the recipe was the same. You can never make the same recipe twice. Every cook has his own touch and we all interpret recipes in our own particular way. But I'm sure I will love her fudge. I already tried the fig chutney she brought and I'm looking forward to the home made chili jam. What a lovely thing to do!

I think we would sit in each other's kitchen pretty often if that 400 km distance wasn't in the picture. It's great to have someone to talk to in English and to share so many things. Thanks for coming over! Although I wasn't feeling well, I loved having the two of you. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just read this today and in true Suz-fashion, it made me cry. You are an amazing woman with a fabulous family and both my husband and I felt immediatly at home chez-vous. I also feel that we live way too far away though I just know that each time we do meet in our gezellig kitchens, we'll never feel like strangers..we'll just pick up where we last left off.

Two old soul-sisters who have met in an earlier life, for sure! I'm very happy to have found you once again.