Thursday, August 2, 2012

Tickle my taste buds

People often think that vegetarian meals are boring and tasteless. I'm not a vegetarian by choice. It's just that I don't need that much meat. In fact, when I think of it, I could do without. I like my veggies and fruit and legumes. There are plenty of choices to make wonderful vegetarian meals without lacking flavor.
The thing I don't like about the vegetarian way of life, is the way meat is being replaced by similar looking products, like veggie burgers, veggies sausages.. If I want to have a burger, I want it to taste like beef. My sausages need to be filled with tasteful mince meat, no replacements. To me, I see no value in including veggie burgers in my diet. They taste like cardboard.. I eat plenty of greens, so why have some burger filled with things I don't like and breaded so you can fry them and turn them into soggy, fatty and unhealthy burgers?

Like I have said before, I always try to find new produce or taste different flavors. Sometimes you need to take a shopping trip to stores you have never visited, mainly organic food stores. They have products you won't find anywhere else. How about edamame beans? I couldn't find them anywhere, until my sister-in-law pointed me out this organic food store in Bruges. I put it on my to do list. Need to complete that grocery list, to make sure my pantry has everything I need to cook my vegetarian meals...

  • a quality tahin, to make hummus
  • good oil
  • lemons or limes
  • garbanzo beans in a tin
  • white beans in a tin
  • fresh ginger root
  • tomatoes
  • tomato paste
  • celery
  • fresh spinach
  • onions (white, red, green, spring onions, shallots, ..)
  • garlic
  • bell peppers in all colors
  • lentils
  • white rice
  • quinoa
  • eggs
  • parmesan
  • cheddar cheese
  • edamame beans
  • chuka wakame
  • dried seaweed
  • sushi rice

No comments: