Thursday, August 16, 2012

Killjoy

On most days, I have no issues that I have diabetes. But some days, I truly wished D wouldn't be that much of a killjoy. When the lows hit in, one at a time and they last much longer than expected, those are the moments I wished I wasn't a diabetic. I hate it when your plans need to be postponed because of the fluctuations in your blood sugar. I hate it when you need to take a nap instead of going out and enjoy your holiday. I hate the feeling the overload of sugar gives you to beat the lows and the sick feeling to your stomach that high blood sugar gives you after overfeeding yourself..
But then I try to put things in perspective. I think of the Moroccan people with D. How many of them have no access to insulin. How they lack education on food or diabetes treatment. I see many people over here, who are blind or who lack limbs. Automatically I see them as diabetics with poor control. Maybe that is not the case, but it crosses my mind every time. The Moroccan food is so high in carbohydrates, which makes it very difficult to change your food habits..

The picknick in Cyper Park that we had planned, was cancelled because of too many sugar drops. We ate in the hotel, I took a 2 hour nap and afterwards we headed to the park. It was so hot out there and the lows kept coming.. No fun, I can tell you. Not for me and not for my husband, who has to keep up with the fluctuations as well. I don't like to stall the people around me and make them wait for me. I want to pretend I'm okay and just keep going. Let's hope tomorrow will be a better day, diabetes wise..

No comments: