Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Before you say "I do"

We got to know each other at the age of 16 - 17, I guess. We worked in the same amusement park during the holidays. I had been working there for a while, when you got in on your first working day. I thought you were pretty special. You were bilingual: Dutch and French. I liked that. You were goodlooking. I liked that too. You had a great sense of humor and I looked forward to having a good time with you. We became friends real fast and we liked to hang out together at work. At a certain time, our friendship turned in to a relationship. We were good friends and we were good as a couple. We didn't cling too much though. There was plenty of freedom in our relationship. Sometimes we hung out together, sometimes we didn't. I liked to hear from you. We didn't have cell phones nor Internet back then. I don't really remember how we kept in touch. I wasn't allowed to go out yet so seeing each other wasn't easy. We went to different schools in different towns and your hometown was no more than a 15 minute drive, but we couldn't meet up in each other's house either. So getting to see each other was quite an organization and pretty exciting. You were my first real love.. I loved you for so many reasons. But I always knew we were never going to get married. I thought you were too goodlooking. The girls turned their heads when you walked by to take a second look. You were no brat or show off, you had no attitude about it. You were just you.. a very good friend and my big love...

I went to Highschool and we lost track of each other. I never forgot you though. I can still smell your perfume and a smile appears on my face when I think of your broad smile and sparkling eyes. I'm over you, don't worry. A certain moment and an unexpected encounter made sure I got over you. It's just that your first love will remain special for the rest of your life.

Every now and then, we read things about each other on the social network sites. I could see you were in a relationship and the girl you were dating was really your type. But then you announced your wedding, the morning of your wedding day. I was amazed! OMG! You were really getting married! Do you remember how we would say: never get married before the age of 40? I never thought you would actually take that as a fact. You're turning 41 November 27th. A good age to settle down and enjoy your wife. I wish the two of you all the luck in the world. You will always be in my heart. Because that's what happens with your first big love. They remain in your heart forever..

No comments: