Thursday, May 10, 2012

Too high and I can't come down

Some years have passed since my numbers were high most of the time. Numbers like 400 - 500 - 600 mg/dl were no exception (what they should have been). They were the rule. My meter must have read HI (it was not that polite that HI meant hello - it's just short for HIGH meaning > 600 mg/dl) on many occasions. Not that I wasn't trying to get acceptable numbers. Insulin resistance boycotted me and made it harder to get good grades. Those days have passed and those high numbers do not appear on my screen that often anymore. I'm glad they don't, because those are the numbers that should scare you and alert you for future complications.

I had an appointment with my endocrinologist. We discussed my latest HbA1c that was still very acceptable and under 7%: 6.9% to be exact. A little higher than the prior one (6.8%), but nevertheless, very acceptable. And still... I'm not completely happy. I hate the daily fluctuations and the fatigue. My doc says I'm too much of a perfectionist. Can I be? It is my body after all??!! I'm ready to compromise in many things, but not when it comes to my health. I do the best I can, but some things you can't predict in advance. He says that I'm a T1 diabetic and fluctuations are part of the deal. That may be possible but that doesn't mean I have to give up and be content, does it? I want less fluctuations and more stable numbers. The fluctuations wear me out and they are not good for my body. I know some people have a much harder time and worse A1c numbers and I truly feel for them. But this is about my body, my life, my diabetes... and I want to improve it...

No comments: