Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What would you like to accomplish before you die?

For those who read my blog on a regular basis, it will be pretty obvious that diabetes plays a major role in my life. It's part of who I am and many of my friends are diabetics as well. Over the last 10 years, I have tried to educate myself on the subject, by listening to peers, by surfing on the Internet and talking to my doctors and diabetes nurses. I agree that life with D isn't always easy. Not for us diabetics, but not for the people around us either. It's good that them too know what diabetes is about. Okay they will never understand what it's like to feel sick when ketones enter your body or how low blood glucose makes you lose control. They do witness those episodes at times and it's probably weird and occasionally even frightening. It is important for them to know, that we do the best we can to control our condition and to make our life and the lives of the people around us, worth living.

I'm having visitors this afternoon. A few people from a production house are coming over to make a commercial on Type 1 diabetes. They contacted me with the question if I was willing to tell my story in front of a camera. The clip will be shown during a diabetes symposium on a big screen. I didn't doubt one second. If I can help spread the word on diabetes, I will. Awareness is so important and a positive attitude will help us move on. I see it as a goal in life, to bring awareness to the people around us.
I'm curious and anxious and nervous and chipper. Keep your fingers crossed for me, okay?

4 comments:

Jangeox said...

Je zult dat weer geweldig doen. Zoals altijd :-)

www.kokenenhogehakken.blogspot.be said...

Gij zijt een zoetje

Upje said...

Ola! De mensen die dat gaan zien, gaan zeker plots een positiever beeld krijgen. Super!!

www.kokenenhogehakken.blogspot.be said...

Het is geod verlopen. Een goeie 2u30 gefilmd. Spannend! Het filmpje wordt vertoond op het diabetessymposium op 15 maart in Brussel en komt nadien op de website te staan.