Saturday, February 18, 2012

I'm on fire

One of the first music tapes I bought, must have been Born in the USA by Bruce Springsteen. I was probably 13 - 14 at the time and Springsteen was really hot in those days. His raw voice and his music made many teen hearts pound faster. We had no access to the Internet at the time - can you imagine there was no such thing as the Internet??? So we had to rely on what we found in the weekly magazines such as Joepie, to understand the lyrics of the songs we liked. We would use scissors and pritt sticks to keep our little treasures together in a scrapbook. Learning the lines by heart, we would remember those songs forever. And I must say: it did work! Singing along with I'm on fire, I came to the realization that I still knew the words by heart. I mean, that's like over 25 years ago and we were still kids back then. I find that remarkable. Is it because there wasn't much else to do than listen to music, that we were so interested in lyrics? Before we had access to Joepie, we would sing along mimicking words without having any clue what the texts were about. That didn't matter though.. we were in the moment and it felt great to sing along with our idols. Springsteen is still hot. A bit older now, but he still has the moves..

No comments: