Friday, August 26, 2011

Godforbiddenly good

While being in the States, I often watched the Food channel. That was really my cup of tea. I just love those shows on cooking and baking. It brings me in the mood to have a good time in my kitchen.

Pulled pork is something I like to prepare in my slow cooker. It's a true delight to have it on a bun, when it's covered in home made BBQ sauce. There are plenty of recipes on the Internet and you can definitely make your own version to your own taste. I like mine with some sprinkles of scallion, baked beans and red onion rings. The house smells so good when the pork is taking its time to fall apart in the slow cooker. I really have to keep myself from opening the lid every now and then to have a taste. There's too much loss of heat when you do that. I leave the pork to simmer for about 6 hours, on top of sliced carrots and onions. It gives me the time to make fresh BBQ sauce. Once the meat is done, I shred it with two forks and put it back in the slow cooker, this time covered in BBQ sauce, and I let it simmer for 2 more hours. It's so delicious.. you should try it. This is my recipe for a fabulous BBQ sauce:

what do we need:
  • 1 tablespoon of oil
  • 1 yellow, 1 red, 1 orange and 1 green small pepper, diced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • a couple of gherkins, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 5 tablespoons of ketchup
  • 1 small can of tomato paste
  • 200 ml of chicken stock
  • 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
  • some sweetener to taste
  • 1 teaspoon of hot sauce
  • 1 tablespoon of corn flour
what do we do:

Bring all of the ingredients in 1 pot and let it simmer until the veggies are tender.

No comments: