Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I'm totally zen

What's the perfect way to give yourself total relaxation?
A massage?
A long walk along a pristine beach? Classical music or a romantic movie?

I'm not very good at relaxing. Some years ago, I signed up for a number of relaxation classes. The silence in the room freaked me out in advance. I wanted to hear some music instead of that deadly silence. But that was not going to happen. I heard nothing but my own breath and that could not give me any relaxation.

Comfort food makes me zen. Honestly.. Having spent time near my stove before I sink down in a chair to enjoy that one perfect meal. Total relaxation! I keep some recipes handy for these moments. How about a comforting apple crumble?

what do we need:
  • 4 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
  • 50 grams of real butter
  • 50 grams of sugar
  • 80 grams of plain flour
  • 80 grams of cold butter, cut into pieces
  • 80 grams of demerara sugar
what do we do:
  • Preheat the oven to 180°C.
  • Heat a pan on the stove. Melt the butter and bake the apple slices until nearly done.
  • Sprinkle the sugar over the fruit and let it simmer for a while, until the apples caramelize.
  • Fill 4 ovenproof bowls with the apple slices and press well.
  • Mix the flour with the butter and the sugar until you get fine crumbs that look like sand.
  • Divide the crumble over the 4 bowls and make sure all of the fruit is covered with crumble.
  • Bake the apple crumble for 25 min or until golden.
  • Serve plain, with vanilla ice cream or clotted cream.
  • Dive in!



2 comments:

Stijn said...

demerara sugar = rietsuiker???

www.kokenenhogehakken.blogspot.be said...

exactly! ik gebruik die ook om crème brulée te branden