Tuesday, February 8, 2011

#@$%øÇ*§¶!!

Exactly. That was my curse after a whole day of high blood glucose.
I hate it when that happens. Changing my site, filling up a reservoir with fresh insulin, drinking loads of water, checking for ketones. It's a fulltime job if your diabetes is not behaving. I had a terrible headache, was thirsty like crazy and I had an overall sick feeling to my stomach. Thanks, but no dinner for me!

The numbers kept crawling up, although I continued to drink water and inject insulin. Aaarrrggghhh! At a certain point, you don't want to inject any more insulin, because you absolutely don't want to have a freaking low in the middle of the night, right? I hear insulin can heap up in your body and then be released all at once. So I wanted to take it slow and inject a little at a time and see what it did. Not much, too badly.. So I stayed up late, checked some more and had more water than our fishtank can hold.. I felt bloated but still very thirsty. When your blood glucose is too high, you have to pee a whole lot, because your body wants to get rid of all those surplus sugar crystals. So your body needs to be refuelled with water, to prevent you from dehydrating. High numbers can make you very sick, up to the point where you need to throw up ('cuse me if you weren't expecting this). It's very hard to keep focussed or stay awake. All you want to do, is lay down your head and sleep. But that's not a good idea when you are on your own. So if nobody is around, you have to stay awake and keep checking your blood glucose. It's a pain, but that is also a part of D and we deal with it whenever we have to.

I slept on the couch and had the whippets to watch over me. They did well. I checked my BG regularly and hopefully today will be a better one.. The 100 mg/dl reading on my meter this morning, was satisfying and normal. That looks promising.

No comments: