Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My will

When is the best time to start writing your will? I'm not planning on dying yet, not anywhere soon to say the least. In fact, I plan on living a long and healthy life. But you know what? I'm almost 40 now (okay, I turned 39 last month, but that's closer to 40 than you may think) and maybe that's when you start thinking of old age..?
I don't know?

A will huh? Don't you need property or at least some money to write on that will? It would be kinda silly to write a will stating nothing but cook books, novels and other thingamajigs, wouldn't it? We do own the house we live in. Our children tell us they don't want it. It's not their kind of house.. LOL. Kids.. They will appreciate the money once they sell our house after we're old and retired and playing cards at the nursery home nearby. I hope there will be more than books and a house to leave them. After all, we have welcomed our girls into this world and I wouldn't want to leave this world unprepared.

Normally I'm a pretty good planner. I love schedules and agendas. I'm just not very familiar with wills. Okay, I've never even seen a will before! It scares me I guess.. Reading someone else's will makes us realize we are not immortal. Maybe I'm not ready to face those facts? I always thought of wills as something romantic. Like some rich guy leaving you all of his belongings. But reality is different. People don't do crazy things anymore. They don't trust you with their money just like that. And are they right or what? Money is not a piece of paper you can print at home. It takes hard work to earn some money and it takes even more effort to make that money grow. So you really have to think about where you want that money to go to, in case of .. (I don't even want to say the D-word).

I'm sure the Internet has plenty of templates you can look into. No, I haven't checked yet. It's too soon I guess. It's too confronting. It's too scary. For now.

No comments: