Sunday, August 1, 2010

The sound of silence

A friend of mine is a longterm fan of silence. She has a big house in the country, where silence is high priority. No music in the house, no sounds in the garden, no nothing. That is so not me. As soon as I wake up, I turn on the radio. I just need to hear voices, music, sounds. The radio in the car is always turned on as well. I couldn't drive without music.

But guess what? This morning,  I woke up and I truly enjoyed the silence. I forced myself to listen to.. nothing but the silence. It was really overwhelming. I tried to focus and concentrate to discover sounds of nature. I heard the oh-oo-oor of a lonely pigeon on the deck while a flock of other flapping pigeons was flying off.. An early car leaving for work and the soft ticking noise of the clock in the room. Little Inthe was snoring a silent roaring sound. Tapping on my MacBook, a humming fly was the only sound I couldn't appreciate. Even the ticking of my finger nails on the keyboard was exciting to hear. Those are sounds I normally don't hear when I turn the radio on. The neighbor's rooster was crowing his morning speech, waiting for a mate to answer his call. The it's-time-to-eat alarm on my insulin pump broke the silence and that was kinda disturbing.. I guess the town is awakening. The screaming sound of our tomcat Arthur trying to fight an unwanted visitor in our garden, finally gets me off the couch.

I guess I don't hate the silence that bad after all. I'll give it another shot tomorrow..

No comments: