Sunday, August 8, 2010

Push it

I plead guilty.. I want things done my way, because I'm a perfectionist and that way I'm sure the result will satisfy me completely. In whatever I do, I want to give myself 200%. I won't go for anything less. Some people say I need to relax and take it easy. Cut back on the perfectionism. It's hard, but I'm trying. I'm trying for the full 200%..

I have a wonderful diabetes nurse. She's a good motivator and mentor and I believe she's a perfectionist as well. Maybe that's one part of why I like her so much? I like it when people give themselves completely to reach their goals. When I frequented the other hospital in Antwerp, my doctor asked my what my goal in blood glucose control was. I told him I wanted an average blood glucose of 95 mg/dl. He lowered his glasses a little, looked me in the eye and said: pardon me? Are you a little perfectionistic? I told him it was my goal, not my average. At least not at that time. LOL. A couple of months later, he lowered that goal to 80 mg/dl.. Go fish..

My diabetes nurse, Mrs N is different in many ways. She can push me. I can take it. I like the way she talks to me and the motivation behind it. We try to compromise and my BG has never been this good. I'm very grateful for her advise and help. She tells me to chill when she feels I'm loosing the pedals. But at the same time, she stimulates me to do the best I can. See, perfectionism isn't that bad after all, is it? In the end, I will benefit from it. And so will my health..

No comments: