Sunday, July 25, 2010

On top of the world

I feel great! I haven't felt this great in many years.. Honestly, I have a good feeling about this whole situation. It's even better than I had expected. Many people tried to talk me out of it and I'm sure they had the best intentions doing so. Because things can go wrong, terribly wrong. But you know what? Things can go right, you know.

I'm really amazed at how well my blood glucose is doing since the operation. My numbers have been fantastic since. There is no reluctance whatsoever to poke my fingers. I love to see those great numbers appear on my glucose meter! Fabulous! My average blood glucose used to be 187. Nowadays, it's 116. That's awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing my next HbA1c result. I have a feeling it will be < 7%, for the first time in my diabetes career!

My slow digestion has disappeared! That's another bonus. No more bloated tummies and there's no need to shoot up extra insulin to correct high numbers, since the high numbers are no longer part of the programme. I have this feeling I could stand on top of the world and scream as loud as I can: I DID IT! I'm so glad I persevered..

Before the operation, I needed about 85 units of insulin, just as a basal pattern, without meals. That has been reduced to 32,45 units a day. The units of insulin I needed to cover my meals, had an average of 50 units a day. Now I need about 10 units.. leaving me with a daily total around 45 units, compared to 135 units before the surgery. If that is not improvement??

No comments: