Saturday, April 10, 2010

Le Notre Dame de Paris

I had been looking forward to this musical for quite some time. I had no idea what to expect. Having the original French version in my heart and mind, and loving every bit of Garou and Hélène Segara, I knew the Flemish cast would have to do a heck of a job to even come close.

I was surprised though! Sandrine Van Handenhoven did absolutely fabulous. She's so tiny and fragile, but that's not what her voice sounded like. It was pure and strong and passionate. She's a delight to look at and to listen to. The leading roll of Esmeralda suited her real well and her performance was very credible.
There was also Gene Thomas, as the Hunchback. He's also fragile and tiny. I would have made his costume a bit more robust and sturdy, to impress more. His voice is not bad, but it's not Garou. His voice is just not strong enough, although he really did his utmost to make a good performance. He mimicked Garou pretty well, meaning gestures and movements and all that.

I really liked Gringoire, played by the Dutch Dennis Ten Vergert. He had the right posture and a clear voice. He and his boyfriend make a real nice couple I must say. After the show, we had a drink in a nearby pub, where the crew had planned a relaxing aftermatch. That is, after they signed our programs. LOL.

Wim Van den Driessche, originally from Eeklo (where I used to live), did a great job as Frollo, the priest. He shouldn't have taken off the priest's habit while singing "Détruire". Because priests don't wear skinny pants. They just need that habit to be plausible. He did a great job though! A warm and deep voice.

One of my favorites was Clopin, played by Clayton Peroti. He's gorgeous. Yummie. And very talented as well. A little bit of moon in a cup of coffee.. Why did I forget to ask his number??

Tim Driesen was Phoebus, meaning Soleil. He looks so young, but then again, he's experienced and did a great job. Not my favorite star, because he lacked some maturity. But that is just my personal preference. His friend - Fleur de Lys - played by Jorien Zeevaart, was very good. So pure. Her appearance made me think of Céline Dion.

I may certainly not forget to mention the amazing dancers! What a crew! What a choreography. I was gobsmacked by their talent and jumps and energy. Congrats, all of you! You are The Notre Dame of Paris!

And of course: thanks to my special friends, for organizing this wonderful outing and making sure we had the best seats available.. Our daughters were really happy they could come along this time. It will be a night to remember.


No comments: