Friday, April 9, 2010

I used to live alone

In 1994, I was living all by myself, in a small room in Eeklo, Belgium. It felt awkward to live all by myself, but at the same time, I enjoyed the private time. Now, 16 years later, I no longer live in Eeklo and I certainly no longer live by myself. I've been married for nearly 15 years now. We have two gorgeous daughters and a house full of pets. A tomcat, 2 whippets, a fish, 3 turtles and 4 chickens. There's not much private time left and the only silence in the house is at night, when everybody is asleep. But that's okay.

Some days, my mind drifts of to 1994. Things were totally different back then. I had no idea what my future was going to be like. I was afraid to think of the future. I was all by myself and had no future plans whatsoever. I was convinced I would go back to the States. Things turned out differently though. Who would have thought I would lead the life I'm living now? Certainly not me. I didn't want to get married. I was not going to have children either. Maybe some pets. Strange how life turns out at times..


No comments: