Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Watskeburt

A couple of weeks ago, you and your boyfriend broke up. You are not devastated, because the two of you will remain friends, being in the same class room. You're young and you will probably have some more boyfriends, before you find Mr Right Guy.

This morning, you were dressed to the nines. I asked if you were ready to go to a party? The look you gave me, was like: duh! Mini high heels, black pantyhose, short dress, mascara, fragrance.. I asked you to wear your Mary Janes instead of the heels and you were fine with that.. I guess, because you changed shoes without giving me a dirty look.

Are you in love again?? It sure looks like it. I thought this outfit was more like a party outfit, but you told me all the girls in school wear short dresses and nylons. What can I say? You sure looked pretty in it. I know what it feels like to be young. I was young once, remember? Fifteen year old girls are one barrel of hormones, looking out for the other (or the same) sex. I remember the excitement, the joy, the happiness of being a teen. How wonderful it was if someone was in love with you and you had someone to love back. The secret encounters (it didn't remain secret that long), the blushing cheeks and pounding hearts, the sweaty hands. I sure remember those days. I'm happy for my daughter that she's intelligent, loveable, sociable, pretty, sportive, .. I want her to enjoy her teenage years and her innocent young life.

It is kinda awkward though, to see your first daughter in love. She's still so vulnerable and you don't want her to get hurt. But at the same time she's a big girl. I can tell she copes well. In the old days, we really had to be inventive to spot a guy, because we were in a strict and catholic "girls only" school. It was so exciting for us to run away from school to see the boy we had fallen in love with. And all we did was hold hands.. Nowadays, 15 yo girls are more mature and informed. They will never experience the sensation of turning the world upside down to see a member of the other sex. The other sex sits right beside them in the classroom. That's a totally different experience. Boys or girls: they are all friends, no matter what gender they are.

Which method is better: the old school or a contemporary one? Time will tell, I guess.. It is good to see though, that boys and girls can communicate better than in my days. Our children can arrange outings with friends - male and female - without us nagging about it. After all, isn't that what the world looks like? I mean: men and women? What's the use in keeping them separated..


No comments: