Monday, March 8, 2010

My choice

I'm not a convinced meat eater. I could do without. It's not that I don't like the taste of it, it's just not something I need. Some types of meat are more appealing to me than other. Talk steak. I love steak! I like my steak walking around the farm yard, if you know what I mean. Rare, not cooked any longer. Well seasoned, hot griddle. Gently pat the steak in the sizzling butter, swirl it around a little, turn it over, swirl it around on that side and serve! So far for beef. Or not, because I also adore beef carpaccio. Under the condition it is absolutely fresh and no olive oil has spoilt it. Just the paper thin slices of beef and some slivers of fresh parmesan, a dash of pepper and salt and some ripped basil. Oh my gosh... that is just so delicious!

How about chicken? I used to like chicken. I still like the taste of it, but my gastroparesis thinks big no-no. The texture of a chicken breast is not acceptable for my intestines. It's pretty hard to digest these fibres, making me taste the chicken fillet all day. And the chicken fillet is the only piece of the chicken I like.

Veal is too dry. Lamb I don't like. Then there is pork. Our family used to eat a lot of pork: sausages, burgers, pork chops, meatballs, meatloaf, minced meat,.. The day I realized how much pork we ate a month, I started making monthly menus. This to make ourselves aware of the way we feed our bodies. I never ever want to eat that much pork again. We now eat it like once a week.

Conclusion: I prefer fish over meat. Any kind of fish. There's no fat on fish, no nasty tendons and fish is healthier than meat. You can always make me happy with any type of fish or seafood.


No comments: