Friday, February 26, 2010

Gimme a break!

Today, my friend and I were going out for breakfast at the beach. We had to take two cars, because she had to pick up her kids in one town, and I had to pick up my daughter in another town.

We had just left my house, when someone warned me that the police were giving away tickets for speeding. DUH! Like I needed one! I got one just the other week, on the same spot by the way. So I slowed down and so did my friend, who was driving behind me. I looked in my rear view mirror and we smiled at each other for not getting a speeding ticket.

Just a few moments later, another police patrol was standing in the middle of the street. They were pulling over several cars. They let me through, but my friend had to pull over. Shoot! I parked the car and ran over to join her. Twelve cars were waiting there to get their tickets. What a joke! Come on! They said she had broken the law, because she was speeding: 70 km/hour instead of 50. Now how is that possible? She was right behind me, and I was not speeding???

Anyway, she got a ticket and they wanted to make sure she had not been drinking. At 9:00 AM? Gimme a break! Of course she had not been drinking. I asked the police officer if she was going to be rewarded for not breaking the law this time. Negative answer.. He could at least have given her a discount on her ticket, right?

The officers were so slow, that we feared our breakfast would turn into a late lunch! That was not the best way to start a nice day out with a friend.. At least, breakfast was yummy and the bread rolls crisp.


No comments: