Tuesday, January 19, 2010

In a blink of an eye

We met some 17 years ago. I was living in Chelmsford, Massachusetts, taking care of two young boys. My time in the US was running out and I was planning to head back home. You were the next au pair in line and you were going to be the last one as well. It was a good idea that you came a little early, so we could have a talk before I left. We did some activities together and the boys didn't understand a word we said. We were both kindergarten teachers and both of us came from the Flemish part of Belgium. We got along pretty well. Did you know that I still have pictures of us?

We lost track of one another for many years and I didn't have your coordinates. But then there was Facebook. We got in touch again and I was amazed to read your blog.. In a blink of an eye, your world was turned upside down. On the job, you bumped into a little chair and the bruise it gave you, didn't go away. You would have nose bleeds that lasted 1 hour and your period was fiercer than ever. You wanted advise from your GP and she wanted to have your blood work done. You could call her in a couple of days to hear the results, but the next day, your GP called you. She wanted you to rush to ER, where doctors were waiting for you. You were told you had a rare form of acute leukaemia. You had to stay in the hospital for at least 5 weeks, starting chemotherapy right away. Wow.. my eyes started to tear up when I read your story, my friend. You are such an optimist and your life hasn't been easy so far. But you are a fighter and that's what helped you through. For 3 long years, you were affected by cancer of the blood, but you never gave up. Your perseverance and strong character made you a survivor. You are such a good person, a good mom to all your pets (and you have soooooooooo many) and a good friend.

I hope to come visit you one day soon. We have so much to talk about. Looking forward to that!


No comments: