Sunday, December 27, 2009

Four little monkeys

I used to be a kindergarten teacher, if that's what you call it after having worked as one for 4 months. LOL. I had 4 year olds in my class at a certain time and I decided to tell them the funny story of the Four little monkeys. As English is not a national language in my country, my principal could not agree with me, to teach these young children a foreign rhyme. She was so short-sighted and not open for any creativity. So I ignored her and I told the kids anyway. Need I say the children loved the story? They made me tell it over and over again, without the need for translation into their own language. The signs that go with the rhyme, were clear and it didn't take them that long to monkey along.
My teaching career is 16 years behind me now, but every now and then, I run into a young men or lady, that used to be in my class. They still remember me. And they still remember the story of the Four little monkeys. How funny they do not recall the principal..

jumping on the bed
One fell off and bumped his head
Mommy called the doctor
and the doctor said:
no more monkeys jumping on the bed!


No comments: