Saturday, November 14, 2009

World Diabetes Day

Today is World Diabetes Day. Many events are being organized to make people aware of the quiet assassin Diabetes. Diabetes is not a cold. It's no game either. It's serious business. People still think Diabetes is just about taking some tablets or shooting up insulin. They think a diabetic can never have sugar again. They believe diabetics have caused their own condition by eating too much candy.
There's a lot of work to be done, to make people aware what Diabetes really is about. Every minute, people get affected by this disease. Every minute, new diabetics are diagnosed and people die of the complications caused by Diabetes. I told you it wasn't a game. It's serious business. It takes strength and courage and a lot of patience and will power to keep your numbers within the correct range.
Little children get diabetes, even new borns. Elderly people, toddlers, working women, retired men, young moms, active fathers, teens in love.. Diabetes doesn't discriminate. It can happen to anyone of you, at a time you expect it the least. Don't judge us. Bare with us and cut us some slack, will you? It's important for us to have your support. It's important that scientists work on finding a cure. We are important and we matter.

Today I'm wearing my Blue Circle Pin, the sign of Diabetes. I haven't done anything wrong. I didn't ask for this disease to affect my body, my life, my family. I have nothing to hide. I'm proud of myself, for taking so good care of myself and my diabetes. It's become part of who I am. I won't let Diabetes win.


No comments: