Wednesday, September 30, 2009

This side of normal

I have ordered a novel today, from Amazon.com. It's a book written by Eric Devine, called "This side of normal". Eric got diabetes type 1 as a young child. 18 years later, Eric is a teacher and an author. This statement on his blog www.ericdevine.wordpress.com made me decide to buy the novel:

When you live with diabetes, "Life" often gets lost in the details. You test, you take your medicine, you eat, and you repeat the process, forever. This daily regimen can make you myopic, and I lived with such blindness for a decade.

I have been looking for some new books and I'm pretty sure I will read this one as soon as it gets here. I like to read about diabetes and especially life stories draw my attention. I have accepted D, and it's a big part of my life. You are confronted with D 24/7. It's always there. It's a lifetime partner. People die, friendships fade, marriages fail, children grow up, but the diabetes will always be there. It's kind of your companion, although you didn't choose this kind of companionship.
I'm looking forward to reading the book and I hope it will give me even more insight in my own diabetes.


No comments: