Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Acceptance

Accepting yourself is the key to happiness. Does that mean I'm happy now? I believe I have accepted the fact that I have diabetes. Somebody told me the other day, that she looked up to me for handling my diabetes so well, considering the extra challenges that interfere with my diabetes. I never looked at it that way. So I thought it over. Am I over it? Have I accepted it? I guess so. It has become a part of me and after 7 years in D-world, it's like it's always been like that. I have asked my children, if they remember the time I didn't have diabetes. They were 5 and 7 when I was diagnosed. They don't remember. They do remember our holiday in the States, the year before diagnosis. But they can't recollect the time I was diabetes-free. They don't even remember the time I used to give myself injections. And I have used syringes for 4 years! I've only been pumping for 3 years.
Sometimes I wonder what my life would be without D. Would I do other things? I don't think so. Do I miss out on things? I don't think so. Would life be easier? Although I'm pretty organized by now, life would probably be less complicated without diabetes. Because I do have to remember a lot. On Saturday, I had already left for my Indian cooking classes, when I found out I was running low on insulin. I had to turn the car and drive back home to pick up an extra bottle of insulin. Okay, that was a nuisance, but hey, it was a 10 minute delay, so no big deal.
The friends I have met since I got diabetes, have helped me through this period in my life. They know what it's like, because they've got the same diagnosis. We help each other and I know they are always there. I don't have to explain how I feel when I have a low or how tired I am if my blood sugar has been too high for several days. It's comforting to know there are people around you who know what you're going through. I truly believe it made me accept my diabetes more easily..


3 comments:

Upje said...

Everything you wrote, means you certainly have accepted your diabetes. But yourself ... ? What do you think?

Big hug,

www.kokenenhogehakken.blogspot.be said...

I guess not... But I'm working on it. I have to make sure I have something to do in the years to come, right? LOL

www.kokenenhogehakken.blogspot.be said...
This comment has been removed by the author.