Sunday, August 30, 2009

Staying alive

In order to stay alive and remain healthy, we need to take good care of our body. Because after all, we only have one body and we only have one life.

I had my annual check up at the hospital, just the other day. Some testing needed to be done and I won't have any results until September 22nd. That's when I have an appointment with the professor, who looks into my medical records. I don't think the results will be better than last year's. On the contrary. I haven't been doing too well this time. Most of it is my own responsibility, although I have conditions that make it harder to keep healthy.
I never look forward to the check up. You need to be weighed (as if I don't know how much I weigh, thank you very much!), measured (do you think I will have grown or shrunk this year? LOL), there is some blood work to be done (twice to be exact). A chiropodist checks my feet for foot sores and blisters and calluses. Sometimes, they prick needles into my legs, to see if there is any nerve damage, due to the diabetes. My eyes are being checked as well (I wear glasses since the diagnosis). And last but not least, a cardiologist tells me what condition my heart is in. I know my heart rate is way too fast. It's always been like that.

You could say it's like taking your car to the shop, to get it checked and fixed. The big difference is: you can buy another car if your beloved car doesn't do what it's supposed to do. I kind of like to hang on to my body just a little longer. You never know how long I plan to live.


No comments: