Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Heavy petting and making out

Our eldest daughter, who's 14, was invited at her boyfriend's house. Yes, she has a boyfriend. He's a very nice and handsome young man, of a family of three sons. Lana and her boyfriend have been together for about 6 months now and they are so in love. He called the other day, to ask if she could come over. They don't see each other that often, because of the summer holidays. Otherwise, they see one another in school. I was a little nervous about her going over to his house, but Lana told me his mom was home and she thought it was okay for her to come over. His mom is a medical secretary in the hospital nearby. I know her. She's the secretary of our pediatrician.
The boyfriend is 14, a good student, he plays soccer and he sings. He's had a leading role in the school's musical some time ago. I've seen him and he's polite and sweet and cute. I think they make a great match.

I'm happy for my daughter, that she has someone to love and love her back. She doesn't have to be afraid to tell us about being in love. We won't use it against her. We give her the freedom that she can handle. She doesn't have to lie about meeting him. It's kind of awkward for me though. I'm not used to that much freedom. At least, not in my teens. By no means could I have a boyfriend. I remember being punished for holding a boy's hand in summer camp when I was 13. The punishment was that I couldn't go to Switzerland on summer camp the following year!!! Hello??? I told my daughters about this kind of punishments and how I resented it. It hurt me big time and never could I attend that summer camp again, because it was for 14 yo's only... It is sad to be punished for holding someone's hand and being in love. It is a wonderful feeling to be in love. But not if you are to be punished for it.. We try to raise our girls in the belief that if they are truthful about what they are up to, we won't use it against them. We won't hold back on them in their growth to adulthood. It's about giving and letting go.

We trust our daughter. She's responsible and she knows about the birds and the bees. I believe the boy to be responsible as well. I'm glad he loves her and she's making her first steps in the world of the grown ups. She's happy. I can tell by the look in her eyes and the smile on her face. And that's all that matters right now..

No comments: