Monday, August 31, 2009

So incredible!

I bought a true tajine in Agadir, Morocco. I love the Moroccan cuisine and I was looking forward to learn how to cook the traditional dishes. So the first thing I bought, was a Moroccan cookbook on traditional Moroccan food, translated in English. It is a wonderful book and I read it, laying by the pool at the hotel. Reading the recipes made me drool and I was sorry I couldn't try the recipes right away. Every day, at least one of the dishes was prepared in the hotel. I love tajines and I wanted to buy one.
Eva and I took a cab and asked the cabdriver to take us to a local pottery to buy a good tajine. He was very nice, but didn't speak anything but Arabic. But we managed to talk to one another and he took us to a small local pottery where we could pick out our own tajine. The young seller charged us 65 dirham (6.5 euro!), which was a real bargain for us, although he thought it was way too much and he was even afraid to ask us that much. We gladly paid him and the cabdriver drove us back to the hotel, charging us no more than 30 dirham (3 euro) in total.
It was kind of tricky to get the tajine home in one piece, but we managed.
And yes, I have cooked my first traditional couscous: beef meatballs with couscous, dried prunes and tomatoes and lots of parsley and coriander. I absolutely loved it!!
The tajine is a great piece of decoration as well. But I'm sure I'll use it pretty often and as a manner of speaking: I feel like making the 7 vegetable couscous right now! Bismillah!


2 comments:

Upje said...

Als ik ooit eens de eer heb om bij jou te mogen komen eten, dan wil ik couscous! Dat heb ik nu nog nooit van zijn leven gegeten, sé ...

Hoewel ik ook wel zeker ben dat al jouw andere gerecht ook meer dan de moeite van het proeven waard zijn *grijns*.

www.kokenenhogehakken.blogspot.be said...

you are very welcome, anytime!

enne..couscous is het gemakkelijkste wat je kan klaarmaken. Je koopt couscous in Delhaize bijvoorbeeld, giet er kokend water op, laat het 5 min staan en het is klaar! Lekker snel en een prima vervanger voor aardappelen of rijst :-)