Monday, June 1, 2009

Rag doll

I used to have a rag doll. It was a boy. He had real long legs, too long for its body. He had spiky, yellow hair and big bright eyes. He was stuffed with sawdust. I have had him for a very long time. He always kept me company in bed.
That particular year, I must have been 12 I guess, I went on summer camp. Packing my suitcases, my mom grabbed Rag doll and threw him on my bed. She said I was too big for dolls. My peers would make fun of me. It wasn't done!
I cried over it, in silence, when she had left the room. I couldn't go on summer camp without Rag doll. So I hid him in my back pack. That first evening in the camp house, we were to unpack. The girl next to me saw Rag Doll on the bed and she threw him in the air, yelling: somebody brought a doll to camp!!! How stupid and childish!! Everybody laughed and I was so embarrassed. They asked if Rag doll was mine. I said no.. They didn't believe me. They told me to clip his hair, to show them I didn't care and it wasn't mine. So I did. I cut Rag dolls hair.. He looked appalling. I didn't take him home. Someone must have trashed him.
I still miss Rag doll.. Nowadays, all teens sleep with dolls and stuffed animals. I would never ridicule them over their beloved cuddle. Kids can be harsh


No comments: