Monday, June 15, 2009

One step away from hitting rock bottom

There was a time when I worked three jobs to keep my head above water. I was living by myself, had debts to pay off and rent to pay. One of the jobs paid well, but my pay check wouldn't come until 7 months later. The other two jobs paid peanuts, but I needed the money in order to survive and feed myself. I had no extra money to treat myself or buy the pants I desperately needed. But you know what? I made it..! I was one step away from hitting rock bottom, but I survived!

The principal I worked for, called me into her office one day. She asked me why I came to school wearing jeans and sweatshirt one day and a neat skirt and blouse the other. I was too proud to tell her I didn't have the money to take my laundry to the cleaners on a weekly basis. So I had to wear whatever was left in my dresser. The school system made me work full time, but had no money to pay me right away. I had to wait, like any other beginning teacher in this country. The fact that I lived all by myself, was of no interest to them. One day, I asked to see the principal to ask her when she thought I would get my first pay check. I was two months behind paying the rent of the small room I boarded. She said I had to ask my parents for some pocket money.. As if!

Three months later, I had to go to well fare, to collect food stamps. I got a reasonable amount of money, as an advance on my wages from my teaching job, a bag of potatoes, two packs of rice and a couple of cans of soup. I was so humiliated. The officer felt sorry for me. I told him I had three jobs. I told him I was not an underdog. I cried when I told him I would pay them back as soon as my first pay check fell into my mail box. He said it wasn't my fault. He said it was okay and he believed me. He could tell I was prepared to work hard and pay off my debts.

Whenever I run into the well fare officer, I cross the road. After 16 years, I still feel humiliated. But times were different back then. I did better from then on. I got back on track and the money they had given me, was enough to pay back my debts. I didn't have a hot meal on a daily basis. But that was okay. I knew things would get better in the end. And they did. I'm grateful.

No comments: