Thursday, June 18, 2009

Expect less, get more

In my teens, I had dreams and goals. Hardly any of those have come true and I ended up being very disappointed. It took me many years, to come to terms with the fact, that maybe I expected too much out of life. So I am trying to settle down and expect less. Not only from others, but mainly from myself. I no longer have to be the best. I'm happy with who I am.

My mentor taught me to expect less and get more. And you know what? She was right again! If you don't expect anything, everything that comes on your way is a gift. Because you don't expect it. And when you expect things the least, the greater it is to be surprised. After all, giving is much more fulfilling than getting. I must admit, I get a lot from friends and family. Love, I mean, and friendship. And that is much more important that any material gift. I could no longer be as happy, if it weren't for my friends and family. Because they are all that really matters...

When one of the little nephews asks me, if he can come over one day, to help me make chocolate chip cookies, a grin appears on my face. I look at his excited face and the red cheeks, the bright blue eyes and the eagerness to come and help me out. It warms my heart that he wants to come over and spend some time with me. And I will never forget what he keeps on saying: what do you need to make good cookies? First of all: Auntie Cathy! Second: a good recipe! Third: me!!!!


No comments: