Saturday, May 2, 2009

Sometimes it's hard to be a woman

Most of the times, I'm glad I'm a woman and not a man. On some occasions I would like to be a man though. It must be great to have moments that your head is totally clear and all you have to think about is, what your wife will have cooked for dinner or when your friends will be picking you up to go to the gym. What a luxury. 

My head is never clear. I always have so many things to think about. Is there bread in the house for school lunches? Did I program the oven, so my family will have a home cooked meal while I'm at work? 
Picking up the groceries on the way to work, I have to keep in mind that some shoes need to be repaired, the youngest needs a new swimsuit, thank you notes need to be written for the upcoming party, presents need to be bought for future birthdays. Filling up the car with gas, I remember that once I'm home from work, there's laundry to be washed, a bathroom to be cleaned, housework to be checked. 
Having my dinner is mostly combined with cleaning up after the children or sorting out some more laundry.

But then again, I'm lucky to have a husband that is committed to his family and helps out whenever he can. It doesn't scare him to do the dishes or vacuum the house. Ironing is mainly his chore. And he's really good at it.

I seem to lack the energy I had, before I was diagnosed with diabetes. Just before diagnosis, I worked two jobs and I had the idea that I could conquer anything. I thought nothing could happen to me. I thought my energy would last forever. I know better now..

2 comments:

Upje said...

Maybe that diabetes was a big big warning from your body ... ?

But it is true - and really unfair! - that for every thing a man does, a woman has at least five other tasks.

Men tend to think we like that ... but I tell mine véry often he's totally wrong *grin*.

www.kokenenhogehakken.blogspot.be said...

I still believe my body gave me many signals over the years, to calm down and enjoy life more. And then it gave me diabetes, something I could no longer deny..

But to be honest Upje? I wouldn't want a man who does everything around the house. I do like my "chores" and wouldn't want to give it all away.. ;-)