Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Just what I needed

I had this craving for home made Brussels waffles! How about that? A warm, crunchy, Brussels waffle, topped with double cream and fresh strawberries. To die for!
I couldn't find my Brussels waffle mold, so I went to the store to buy another one. Unfortunately, they didn't have it in stock, so they ordered one, to be picked up by the end of the week. But I wanted Brussels waffles now!!!
Eva had already made the dough and it was sitting on the counter, waiting to be baked. I decided to make the waffles in a different mold and you know what? They came out just right! I made 24 delicious waffles and I had about 4, until I couldn't have any more.. Maybe I'll have some more for breakfast tomorrow.. right out of the toaster and topped with blueberries..

Maybe you would like to make your own? I'll make it easy for you and I'll share my recipe:

500 gr of plain flour
1 sachet of yeast
1/4 litre of lukewarm water
200 gr vegetable shortening, melted
1/2 litre of lukewarm milk
4 eggs, free range of course
a dash of salt

Pour the flour into a large bowl and make a hole in the middle.
Separate the eggs and beat the egg whites into snow, with the dash of salt.
Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water and let it sit for a while until it starts to foam. Pour the foamy yeast solution into the flour and cover it with a tablespoon of the flour. Mix it all together.
Add the shortening, the milk and the egg yolks and have a final mix session. Cover the bowl with a lid and let it sit for a while, until the dough has doubled in size.
Bake 12 big Brussels waffles or 24 smaller ones. Top with double cream and strawberries or dust with powdered sugar before you drop some dollops of butter on top. Enjoy!
If by any chance you have leftovers (which I doubt, unless you're home alone), pop them in the freezer, in airtight ziploc bags. Just throw'm in the toaster in the morning, for a delicious home made breakfast. Much better than the store bought brand!



No comments: