Sunday, April 19, 2009

I feel like crap...

In a rush to get us all up and going this morning, I forgot to bolus insulin for my breakfast. And for a change, I had bread (homemade English muffins) and a hazelnut latte for breakfast. Normally I skip on the bread, because it raises my blood sugar in such a fast way that it feels like being on a roller coaster
So I forgot to bolus. And I didn't find out until we arrived in Willebroek, 2 hours later, to take the pictures. Hubby did join us after all (I'm glad he did! and I didn't even have to ask him again - he decided all by himself that he wanted to be there too) and I'm glad he drove the car. I really felt horrible... Decided to check my glucose and o yes: 375 mg/dl. I hate those highs, especially when I caused them, even if I didn't intend to. It took me 4 hours to have better control and to me, it was like eating sand. Not that I have ever eaten sand before, but I assume that's how digging into sand feels like. 
I hope the pictures will hide my thirst and lack of energy. Because that's what high blood sugar levels do to you. They drain all the energy out of your body and leave you with a dry throat and a sick feeling in the stomach. 
The photo shoot went really well. The photographer made us feel at home and was very professional. He took 24 pictures and tonight he will forward me the results. I'm thrilled and I hope to get some good footage. 
One hour left before I'm off to work. Working as a personal assistant means you also work on weekends. Because people with special needs, don't have weekends. They always have their needs and they always need assistance. That is not their fault and there's nothing they can do about it. So I am happy to help out. But sometimes, I'd rather spend some time with my family on the weekend, or take them on an outing or just hang out with the in-laws and all the grandchildren. Welcome to the life of a working mom :-)

No comments: